I am guilty of putting my nose to the ground and just powering though the things that I need to get done that I sometimes fail to stop and enjoy all the wonder that this season brings.
Fortunately, I live with four little people that help me remember what a great time of year this really is. All I have to do is watch them look at the Christmas tree with wonder or see them get excited about one less day on the advent calendar to remember the joy and magic.
It is not about the to do lists, it is about spending time with those you love and making memories.
That is why one afternoon, I stopped all my hurrying and planning, ushered the kids into my kitchen and we made ornaments for our tree.
I love getting my kids in the kitchen with me. I love sharing my joy of cooking. I love that we were making holiday memories.
1 c Salt
2 c Flour
1 c Water
- Blend flour and salt and slowly add water and mix to form a dough.
- Knead dough for 7 to 10 minutes until firm.
- Roll out dough and use cookie cutter to make seasonal shapes.
- Use a nail or pencil to make a hole in the top of each shape.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, test for firmness.
- Once cooled, paint ornaments and then seal with varnish to protect them.